Looking for Dissertations
Theses & Dissertations
Writing a UO Dissertation or Thesis
Finding Electronic Dissertations
By University of Oregon Students:
- Search ProQuest Digital Dissertations. Dissertations written by UO students may be downloaded for free by UO students, faculty & staff.
- UO Scholars' Bank also has some digital UO theses and dissertations.
By Everyone Else:
- Search ProQuest Digital Dissertations database for the last two years. Provides free 24-page previews for disserations as well as some full text in PDF format. Some dissertations are only vailable for purchase via credit card.
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations is an international organization dedicated to promoting the adoption, creation, use, dissemination and preservation of electronic analogues to the traditional paper-based theses and dissertations.
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations (OATD) provodes access to more than 1.6 million open-access theses and dissertations from over 800 institutions worldwide.
Borrowing (use one of the methods below, allow 10-30 days):
- Worldcat. Use the search form to locate the dissertation by author and/or title, then click on the title link, then follow the steps to complete an "ILL" transaction.
- Dissertation Abstracts. Search for the dissertation and submit your request using the "Findtext" button. Your request will be processed on the following day, Monday-Friday.
- Or, submit your request via your ILLiad account.
You will be notified by the Interlibrary Loan Department if the owning library will not loan the dissertation. You may be able to purchase a copy of the dissertation for your use by following the procedure below:
If we are unable to borrow the item from the owning library you may be able to locate a copy via Dissertation Express and purchase a copy yourself (unbound printed copies are $44 & electronic copies are $37).
Finding Dissertations - Other Resources
- UO Libraries Catalog
- Dissertation Abstracts (Proquest)
- ProQuest Digital Dissertations
- CRL Catalog (Center for Research Libraries: dissertation database includes more than 750,000 uncataloged foreign doctoral dissertations)
- Theses Canada Portal (National Library of Canada)
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations
- EThOS (Electronic Theses Online Service: from the British Library provides full-text access to over 250,000 UK theses and dissertations)
- DART-Europe E-theses Portal (provides full-text access to over 125,000 research theses from 210 institutions representing 16 European countries)
University of Oregon Theses & Dissertations
The UO Libraries Catalog allows you to limit your search to just dissertations and theses. To search for all dissertations written for a particular department; search by title using the pattern shown in this example: University Of Oregon Theses Dept Of Physics. Dissertations written by University of Oregon students are housed in the UO Libraries' collection and are generally available to borrow. Copies may also be made from the microfilm housed in University Archives.
Dissertations Prior to 1980 - from U.S. and Canadian institutions
For abstracts to dissertations published before 1980, consult a librarian.