Counseling Psychology Research Guide
Counseling & School Psychology and Couples & Family Therapy
(also see Education Research Guide)
The following is a selected list of resources for starting research in Counseling. For further assistance, contact Katy Lenn, Education Reference Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org
These sources can help you identify a topic for your research. They can provide an overview of a specific issue and suggest other materials which might be useful for your research. [KNIGHT REF refers to Reference collection, First Floor of Knight Library]
- Annual Reviews: Psychology, law and social science, clinical psychology, political science,sociology, anthropology
- APA educational psychology handbook KNIGHT REF LB1051 .A618 2011
- APA handbook of behavior analysis KNIGHT REF BF199 .A67 2013
- APA handbook of counseling psychology KNIGHT REF BF636.6 .A63 2012
- APA handbook of research methods in psychology KNIGHT REF BF76.5 .A73 2012
- APA handbook of testing and assessment in psychology KNIGHT REF BF176 .A63 2013
- Cambridge handbook of creativity
- Encyclopedia of bilingual education
- Encyclopedia of depression
- Encyclopedia of disability; KNIGHT REF HV 1568 .E528 2006 or online
- Encyclopedia of education (2nd ed.), 2003; KNIGHT REF LB 15 .E47 2003 or on online
- Encyclopedia of identity REF KNIGHT HM753 .E53 2011
- Encyclopedia of juvenile justice
- Encyclopedia of school crime and violence
- Encyclopedia of the social and cultural foundations of education
- Handbook for the assessment of children's behaviour
- Handbook of adolescent psychology 2009
- Handbook of family resilience
- Handbook of multicultural counseling competencies 2010
- Handbook of psychological assessment 2009
- Handbook of psychology 2013; KNIGHT REF BF121 .H213 2013
- Handbook of reading disability research
- Handbook of reading research
- Handbook of research on the education of school leaders
- Handbook of social justice in education; KNIGHT REF LC 71 .H364 2009 and online
- Handbook of social psychology REF KNIGHT HM1011 .H37 2010
- Handbook of the psychology of aging 2011
- International encyclopedia of education, 2010
- International handbook of suicide prevention 2011
- International Review of Research in Mental Retardation KNIGHT REF RC 570 .I5 (click here to search topics in this series)
- Oxford handbook of ...
- child and adolescent eating disorders : developmental perspectives REF KNIGHT RJ506.E18 O94 2012
- child psychological assessment REF KNIGHT BF722.3 .O94 2013
- close relationships REF KNIGHT HM1106 .O94 2013
- intellectual disability and development REF KNIGHT RC570 .O96 2012
- prevention in counseling psychology REF KNIGHT BF636.6 .O944 2013
- rehabilitation psychology REF KNIGHT RM930 .O936 2012
- school psychology REF KNIGHT LB1027.55 .O94 2011
- social class in counseling REF KNIGHT BF636.7.C76 O944 2013
- Sage online Reference books: Includes: Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents, and the Media; Encyclopedia of Distributed Learning; Encyclopedia of Educational Leadership and Administration; Encyclopedia of Human Development; Encyclopedia of Juvenile Justice, Encyclopedia of Religious and Spiritual Development; Encyclopedia of School Psychology; Encyclopedia of Leadership; Encyclopedia of Applied Developmental Science; Encyclopedia of Social Welfare History in North America; Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology; Encyclopedia of Multicultural Psychology; Encyclopedia of Behavior Modification and Cognitive Behavior Therapy; Encyclopedia of Career Development; Encyclopedia of Community Encyclopedia of Health and Behavior; Encyclopedia of Human Development; Encyclopedia of Evaluation; Encyclopedia of Measurement and Statistics; Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods
- Wiley-Blackwell handbook of childhood cognitive development 2011
- Wiley-Blackwell handbook of childhood social development 2011
- Wiley-Blackwell handbook of couples and family relationships 2012
- Wiley-Blackwell handbook of family psychology 2009
- Wiley-Blackwell handbook of group psychotherapy 2011
To look for articles in journals, newspapers, or magazines, you will need to start with an index. An index will allow you to look by subject or a few keywords which describe your topic or by author. Off-campus access will require you to login with your DuckID when accessing proprietary materials OR you can sign in using the VPN client. Once you have located an article you want, use the FindText button that will appear to verify if we have access to the article or use the "Request this item from another library" option to obtain a copy through Interlibrary Loan.
- PsycINFO provides indexing and abstracting for 1,900 journals in psychology and related disciplines.
- Social Services Abstracts, provides bibliographic coverage of current research focused on social work, human services, and related areas, including social welfare, social policy, and community development.
- ERIC via EBSCO
The main source for education, ERIC consists of citations to more than 850,000 records about all areas of education. ERIC is composed of citations to articles published in education journals and to ERIC documents which include curriculi, reports, standards, and other unpublished materials in education. ERIC indexes materials from 1966 to the present and is updated monthly.
- Education Abstracts
Education Abstracts covers English-language education periodicals and yearbook published in the U.S. and elsewhere. Subjects include administration teaching methods and curriculum, literacy, and government funding. Citations are available from 1983 to the present.
- Academic Search Premier
Provides coverage of some education journals. Also good for it's coverage of education topics in popular magazines such as Time and Newsweek. It does provide full-text access to some articles.
- Linguistics & Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA)
LLBA provides complete coverage of language and linguistics from about 600 journals.
- Medline OR PubMed
Medline covers all areas of biomedicine, including cell and molecular biology, genetics,etc., as well as clinical medicine. It corresponds to the printed indexes Index Medicus, Index to Dental Literature and the International Nursing Index, and indexes 3,700+ journals. Date coverage: 1965 to present PubMed contains Medline and some additional literature.
- Cochrane Library: The Cochrane Library is a collection of six databases that contain different types of high-quality, independent evidence to inform healthcare decision-making. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR) contains protocols and reviews of interventions, diagnostic tests, and methodology.
- UO Library Catalog
Identify books, dvd's and other materials by topic, title or author; identify journals and magazines owned by the UO Library.
UO WorldCat offers a streamlined interface for search results that combine, into a single merged list, the collections of the UO Libraries, Summit libraries, and hundreds of other libraries worldwide. When searching in UO WorldCat, entries for items owned by the UO Libraries appear at the top of the list and include information about location and availability.
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- American Counseling Association
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Asssociation
- Asian American Psychological Association
- Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development
- National Latina/o Psychological Association (NLPA)
- International Association of Marriage and Family Counselors
- Society for Prevention Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
The following are some of our COE faculty publications issued since January 2013.
Anderson, C. M., Turtura, J., & Parry, M. (2013). Addressing instructional avoidance with Tier II supports. Journal of Applied School Psychology, 29(2), 167-182. doi:10.1080/15377903.2013.778772
Baker, S. K., Santoro, L. E., Chard, D. J., Fien, H., Park, Y., & Otterstedt, J. (2013). An evaluation of an explicit read aloud intervention taught in whole-classroom formats in first grade. Elementary School Journal, 113(3), 331-358. http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/668503
Basaraba, D., Yovanoff, P., Alonzo, J., & Tindal, G. (2013). Examining the structure of reading comprehension: Do literal, inferential, and evaluative comprehension truly exist? Reading and Writing, 26(3), 349-379. doi:10.1007/s11145-012-9372-9
Beghetto, R. A. (2013). Expect the unexpected: Teaching for creativity in the micromoments. In M. Banks Gregerson, H. T. Snyder, & J. C. Kaufman (Eds.), Teaching creatively and teaching creativity (pp. 133-148). doi:10.1007/978-1-4614-5185-3_10
Bolaños, D., Cole, R. A., Ward, W. H., Tindal, G. A., Schwanenflugel, P. J., & Kuhn, M. R. (2013). Automatic assessment of expressive oral reading. Speech Communication, 55(2), 221-236. doi:10.1016/j.specom.2012.08.002
Bricker, D., Macy, M., Squires, J., & Marks, K. (2013). Developmental screening in your community: An integrated approach for connecting children with services. Baltimore, MD: Paul H Brookes Publishing.
Brown, T. B., & Kimball, T. (2013). Cutting to live: A phenomenology of self‐harm. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 39(2), 195-208.
Carroll, R. A., Kodak, T., & Fisher, W. W. (2013). An evaluation of programmed treatment-integrity errors during discrete-trial instruction. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 46(2), 379-394. doi:10.1002/jaba.49
Carter, E. W., Lane, K. L., Cooney, M., Weir, K., Moss, C. K., & Machalicek, W. (2013). Parent assessments of self-determination importance and performance for students with autism or intellectual disability. American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 118(1), 16-31. doi: 10.1352/1944-7558-118.1.16
Cena, J., Baker, D. L., Kame'enui, E. J., Baker, S. K., Park, Y., & Smolkowski, K. (2013). The impact of a systematic and explicit vocabulary intervention in Spanish with Spanish-speaking English learners in first grade. Reading and Writing, 26(8), 1289-1316. doi:10.1007/s11145-012-9419-y
Cummings, K. D., Park, Y., & Schaper, H. A. B. (2013). Form effects on DIBELS next oral reading fluency progress- monitoring passages. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 38(2), 91-104. doi:10.1177/1534508412447010
Daughters, S. B., Gorka, S. M., Matusiewicz, A., & Anderson, K. (2013). Gender specific effect of psychological stress and cortisol reactivity on adolescent risk taking. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 41(5), 749-758. doi:10.1007/s10802-013-9713-4
Davis, T. N., Dacus, S., Strickland, E., Machalicek, W., & Coviello, L. (2013). Reduction of automatically maintained self-injurious behavior utilizing noncontingent matched stimuli. Developmental Neurorehabilitation, 16(3), 166-171.
Davis, T. N., Durand, S., Bankhead, J., Strickland, E., Blenden, K., Dacus, S., . . . Machalicek, W. (2013). Brief report: Latency functional analysis of elopement. Behavioral Interventions, 28(3), 251-259. doi:10.1002/bin.1363
Doabler, C. T., & Fien, H. (2013). Explicit mathematics instruction: What teachers can do for teaching students with mathematics difficulties. Intervention in School and Clinic, 48(5), 276-285. doi: 10.1177/1053451212473151
Flannery, K. B., Fenning, P., Kato, M. M., & Bohanon, H. (2013). A descriptive study of office disciplinary referrals in high schools. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders, 21(2), 138-149. doi: 10.1177/1063426611419512
Forrest, L., Elman, N. S., Huprich, S. K., Veilleux, J. C., Jacobs, S. C., & Kaslow, N. J. (2013). Training directors' perceptions of faculty behaviors when dealing with trainee competence problems: A mixed method pilot study. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 7(1), 23-32. doi:10.1037/a0032068
Frey, A. J., Lee, J., Small, J. W., Seeley, J. R., Walker, H. M., & Feil, E. G. (2013). Transporting motivational interviewing to school settings to improve the engagement and fidelity of tier 2 interventions. Journal of Applied School Psychology, 29(2), 183-202. doi:10.1080/15377903.2013.778774
Glascoe, F. P., Marks, K. P., & Squires, J. (2012). Improving the definition of developmental delay. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 33(1), 87. doi:10.1097/DBP.0b013e3182362265
Handbook of psychology, (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ,: John Wiley & Sons. http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-047061904X.html UO call number: KNIGHT REF BF121 .H213 2013
Chapters by UO authors:
Belar, C. D., Mclntyre, T. M., & Matarazzo, J. D. (2013). Health psychology. In D. K. Freedheim & I. B. Weiner (Eds.), Handbook of psychology, Vol. 1. History of psychology (2nd ed.) (pp. 488-506). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley.
Handler, L., & Smith, J. D. (2013). Education and training in psychological assessment. In J. R. Graham, J. A. Naglieri, & I. B. Weiner (Eds.), Handbook of psychology, Vol. 10. Assessment psychology (2nd ed.) (pp. 211-238). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley.
Squires, J., Pribble, L., Chen, C.-I, & Pomés, M. (2013). Early childhood education: Improving outcomes for young children and families. In W. M. Reynolds, G. E. Miller, & I. B. Weiner (Eds.), Handbook of psychology, Vol. 7. Educational psychology (2nd ed.) (pp. 233-256). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley.
Walker, H. M., & Gresham, F. M. (2013). The school-related behavior disorders field: A source of innovation and best practices for school personnel who serve students with emotional and behavioral disorders. In W. M. Reynolds, G. E. Miller, & I. B. Weiner (Eds.), Handbook of psychology, Vol. 7. Educational psychology (2nd ed.) (pp. 411-440). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley.
Harn, B., Parisi, D., & Stoolmiller, M. (2013). Balancing fidelity with flexibility and fit: What do we really know about fidelity of implementation in schools? Exceptional Children, 79(2), 181-193. http://cec.metapress.com/content/h37j35n0872633l0/
Hyde, L. W., Shaw, D. S., Gardner, F., Cheong, J., Dishion, T. J., & Wilson, M. (2013). Dimensions of callousness in early childhood: Links to problem behavior and family intervention effectiveness. Development and Psychopathology, 25(2), 347-363. doi:10.1017/S0954579412001101
Kamata, A., Nese, J. F. T., Patarapichayatham, C., & Lai, C.-F. (2013). Modeling nonlinear growth with three data points: Illustration with benchmarking data. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 38(2), 105-116. doi:10.1177/1534508412457872
Kaslow, N. J., Borden, K. A., Collins, F. L., Jr., Forrest, L., Illfelder-Kaye, J., Nelson, P. D., . . . Willmuth, M. E. (2004). Competencies Conference: Future Directions in Education and Credentialing in Professional Psychology. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 60(7), 699-712. doi:10.1002/jclp.20016
Khurana, A., Romer, D., Betancourt, L. M., Brodsky, N. L., Giannetta, J. M., & Hurt, H. (2013). Working memory ability predicts trajectories of early alcohol use in adolescents: The mediational role of impulsivity. Addiction, 108(3), 506-515. doi:10.1111/add.12001
Kodak, T., Clements, A., & LeBlanc, B. (2013). A rapid assessment of instructional strategies to teach auditory-visual conditional discriminations to children with autism. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 7(6), 801-807. doi: 10.1016/j.rasd.2013.02.007
Kodak, T., Fisher, W. W., Paden, A., & Dickes, N. (2013). Evaluation of the utility of a discrete-trial functional analysis in early intervention classrooms. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 46(1), 301-306. doi:10.1002/jaba.2
Kratochwill, T. R., Hitchcock, J. H., Horner, R. H., Levin, J. R., Odom, S. L., Rindskopf, D. M., & Shadish, W. R. (2013). Single-case intervention research design standards. Remedial and Special Education, 34(1), 26-38. doi:10.1177/0741932512452794
Mazzotti, V. L., Rowe, D. R., & Test, D. W. (2013). Navigating the evidence-based practice maze: Resources for teachers of secondary students with disabilities. Intervention in School and Clinic, 48(3), 159-166. doi:10.1177/1053451212454004
McIntosh, K., Reinke, W. M., Kelm, J. L., & Sadler, C. A. (2013). Gender differences in reading skill and problem behavior in elementary school. Journal of Positive Behavior Interventions, 15(1), 51-60. doi:10.1177/1098300712459080
McWhirter, E. H., Ramos, K., & Medina, C. (2013). ¿Y ahora qué? Anticipated immigration status barriers and Latina/o high school students’ future expectations. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 19(3), 288-297. doi:10.1037/a0031814
Murray, C., & Doren, B. (2013). The effects of working at gaining employment skills on the social and vocational skills of adolescents with disabilities: A school-based intervention. Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin, 56, 96-107. doi:10.1177/0034355212452614
Neville, H. J., Stevens, C., Pakulak, E., Bell, T. A., Fanning, J., Klein, S., & Isbell, E. (2013). Family-based training program improves brain function, cognition, and behavior in lower socioeconomic status preschoolers. PNAS Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 110(29), 12138-12143. doi:10.1073/pnas.1304437110
Petscher, Y., Cummings, K. D., Biancarosa, G., & Fien, H. (2013). Advanced (measurement) applications of curriculum-based measurement in reading. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 38(2), 71-75. doi:10.1177/1534508412461434
Ryoo, J. J., Margolis, J., Lee, C. H., Sandoval, C. D. M., & Goode, J. (2013). Democratizing computer science knowledge: Transforming the face of computer science through public high school education. Learning Media and Technology, 38(2), 161-181. doi: 10.1080/17439884.2013.756514
Sanford, A. K., Park, Y., & Baker, S. K. (2013). Reading growth of students with disabilities in the context of a large-scale statewide reading reform effort. Journal of Special Education, 47(2), 83-95. doi: 10.1177/0022466911430350
Skowron, E. A., Cipriano-Essel, E., Benjamin, L. S., Pincus, A. L., & Van Ryzin, M. J. (2013). Cardiac vagal tone and quality of parenting show concurrent and time-ordered associations that diverge in abusive, neglectful, and non-maltreating mothers. Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice, 2(2), 95-115. doi:10.1037/cfp0000005
Smith, J. D., Dishion, T. J., Moore, K. J., Shaw, D. S., & Wilson, M. N. (2013). Effects of video feedback on early coercive parentchild interactions: The intervening role of caregivers' relational schemas. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology, 42, 405-417. doi: 10.1080/15374416.2013.777917
Stevens, C., Harn, B., Chard, D. J., Currin, J., Parisi, D., & Neville, H. (2013). Examining the role of attention and instruction in at-risk kindergarteners: Electrophysiological measures of selective auditory attention before and after an early literacy intervention. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 46(1), 73-86. doi:10.1177/0022219411417877
Stoolmiller, M., Biancarosa, G., & Fien, H. (2013). Measurement properties of DIBELS oral reading fluency in grade 2: Implications for equating studies. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 38(2), 76-90. doi:10.1177/1534508412456729
Sumi, W., Woodbridge, M. W., Javitz, H. S., Thornton, S., Wagner, M., Rouspil, K., & ... Severson, H. H. (2013). Assessing the Effectiveness of First Step to Success: Are Short-Term Results the First Step to Long-Term Behavioral Improvements?. Journal Of Emotional & Behavioral Disorders, 21(1), 66-78. doi:10.1177/1063426611429571
Van Ryzin, M. J., & Dishion, T. J. (2013). From antisocial behavior to violence: A model for the amplifying role of coercive joining in adolescent friendships. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 54(6), 661-669. doi: 10.1111/jcpp.12017
Van Ryzin, M. J., & Nowicka, P. (2013). Direct and indirect effects of a family-based intervention in early adolescence on parent−youth relationship quality, late adolescent health, and early adult obesity. Journal of Family Psychology, 27(1), 106-116. doi:10.1037/a0031428 [Walker, Hill]
Zvoch, K., & Stevens, J. J. (2013). Summer school effects in a randomized field trial. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 28(1), 24-32. doi:10.1016/j.ecresq.2012.05.002