Communication Disorders Research Guide
Communication Disorders Research Guide
The following is a selected list of resources for starting research in Communication Disorders. For further assistance, contact Katy Lenn, Communication Disorders Reference Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org
These sources can help you identify a topic for your research. Some provide an overview of a specific issue and suggest other materials which might be useful for your research. Others help you to notice a topic that might be of interest to you.
- American Sign Language handshape dictionary; HV 2475 T46 1998 Knight Reference
- Annual review of Psychology, Medicine, Neuroscience, etc.
- Atlas of neuroanatomy for communication science and disorders RC423 .A86 2012 Knight Reference
- Dictionary of communication disorders; RC 423 M597 1997 Knight Reference
- Encyclopedia of acoustics; QC 221.5 E53 1997 Science Reference
- Encyclopedia of deafness and hearing disorders; RF 290 T93 Knight Reference
- Encyclopedia of special education: A reference for the education of the handicapped and other exceptional children and adults; LC 4007 E53 2000 Knight Reference
- Gallaudet encyclopedia of deaf people and deafness; HV 2365 G35 1987 Knight Reference
- Handbook of acquired communication disorders in childhood RJ496.C67 M87 2011 Knight Reference
- Handbook of child language disorders RJ 496.L35 H334 2009 Knight Reference
- Handbook of language and speech disorders RC 423 .H3258 2010 Knight Reference
- Handbook of psycholinguistic and cognitive processes: Perspectives in communication disorders
- Handbook of reading disability research
- Illustrated dictionary of audiology; RF 290 .M464 1999 Knight Reference
- MIT handbooks and encyclopedias. Includes:The Handbook of Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience;The MIT Encylopedia of the Cognitive Science;The Cognitive Neurosciences II;The Handbook of Brain Theory and Neural Networks, 2ed.;The Handbook of Multisensory Processe;The Visual Neurosciences;The MIT Encyclopedia of Communication Disorders; Handbook of Functional Neuroimaging of Cognition, 2nd Edition; Status Epilepticus, Mechanisms and Management; Principles and Practice of Clinical Electrophysiology of Vision, 2nd Edition
- Online American Sign Language Dictionary
- Sage online Reference books. Includes: Encyclopedia of Children, Adolescents, and the Media; Encyclopedia of Distributed Learning; Encyclopedia of Educational Leadership and Administration; Encyclopedia of Human Development; Encyclopedia of Religious and Spiritual Development; Encyclopedia of School Psychology; Encyclopedia of Leadership; Encyclopedia of Applied Developmental Science; Encyclopedia of Social Welfare History in North America; Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology; Encyclopedia of Multicultural Psychology; Encyclopedia of Behavior Modification and Cognitive Behavior Therapy; Encyclopedia of Career Development; Encyclopedia of Community Encyclopedia of Health and Behavior; Encyclopedia of Human Development; Encyclopedia of Evaluation; Encyclopedia of Measurement and Statistics; Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods
- Terminology of communication disorders: Speech-language-hearing; RC 423 N52 Knight Reference
- Scientific & Medical ART (SMART) Imagebase is a collection of 11,000+ high quality illustrations and animations depicting anatomy, physiology, surgery, diseases, conditions, trauma, embryology, histology, and other health science topics.
To look for articles in journals, newspapers, or magazines, you will need to start with an index. An index will allow you to look by subject or a few keywords which describe your topic or by author. Once you have located an article you want, use the FindText button that will appear to verify if we have access to the article or use the "Request this item from another library" option to obtain a copy through Interlibrary Loan.
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA)
LLBA provides complete coverage of language and linguistics from about 600 journals.
- Medline OR PubMed
Medline covers all areas of biomedicine, including cell and molecular biology, genetics,etc., as well as clinical medicine. It corresponds to the printed indexes Index Medicus, Index to Dental Literature and the International Nursing Index, and indexes 3,700+ journals. Date coverage: 1965 to present PubMed contains Medline and some additional literature.
- Health Source: Consumer Edition
Health Source Plus provides full text from nearly 270 periodicals covering nutrition, exercise, medical self-care, drugs and alcohol, and much more. In addition to the full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for over 430 periodicals. This database also provides full text for over 1,090 pamphlets and 23 books. Full text backfiles go as far back as January of 1990, while indexing and abstract backfiles go as far back as January of 1984.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition provides nearly 540 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. Also featured are abstracts and indexing for over 570 journals.
- Academic Search Premier
A good starting point for research about linguistics. Academic Search Elite indexes a few linguistics journals and does provide some full-text access to articles.
- ERIC (Education)
Good for language learning and teaching and CDS/school issues. ERIC consists of citations to more than 850,000 records about all areas of education. ERIC is composed of citations to articles published in education journals and to ERIC documents which include curriculi, reports, standards, and other unpublished materials in education. ERIC indexes materials from 1966 to the present and is updated monthly.
- Social Services Abstracts, provides bibliographic coverage of current research focused on social work, human services, and related areas, including social welfare, social policy, and community development.
- PsycINFO provides indexing and abstracting for 1,900 journals in psychology and related disciplines.
- UO Library Catalog
Identify books, dvd's and other materials by topic, title or author; identify journals and magazines owned by the UO Library.
UO WorldCat offers a streamlined interface for search results that combine, into a single merged list, the collections of the UO Libraries, Summit libraries, and hundreds of other libraries worldwide. When searching in UO WorldCat, entries for items owned by the UO Libraries appear at the top of the list and include information about location and availability.
- Communication Sciences and Disorders: A List of Resources
- MEDLINE Plus: Speech & Communication Disorders
- MEDLINEplus: Hearing Disorders & Deafness
- Net Connections for Communication Disorders and Sciences
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
- Citing Documents