Architectural Timelines 19th century Architecture of the University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Unless otherwise noted, the date indicates when the building opened. Follow the link to learn more about the history of a building or architect.
See a contemporary map of the 1894 campus.
BUILDINGS. The University has on its campus three brick buildings.One was erected in part by the citizens of Lanecounty and finished by the State. It is one hundred andfifteen feet long, fifty-four feet wide, and three storieshigh, besides the basement. The second building, namedby the Regents Villard Hall, is made of brick, and hasa concrete finish on the outside. It is one hundred and fifteen feet in length, sixty-nine feet wide, and two storieshigh above basement. The third brick building waserected by the Regents 1n 1889, at a cost of about four thousand five hundred dollars, for a gymnasium. It containsthe most approved apparatus for exercise. A brick observatory, on an eminence convenient to the University, has been erected by the Regents, at a cost of about four thousand dollars.
LIBRARY. The University Library occupies a room in Villard Hall, and contains at present about three thousand volumes. A part of the books was bought at a cost of one thousand dollars, by Mr. Henry Villard. Another part has since been bought at a cost of seven hundred dollars,out of the income from the Villard endowment fund.The annual sum coming from the Villard fund for thepurchase of books for the library is four hundred dollars. This money is now spent in buying books of reference for the use of the University. Through the influence of the Hon. J. N. Dolph, Oregon's United States Senator, the library has been made the depository of all documents published by the general government at Washington. In the library room may also he found a large number of magazines, reviews, and other periodicals published in England and America. There is no charge for the use of an these books and periodicals.