THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Unless otherwise noted, the date indicates when the building opened. Follow the link to learn more about the history of a building or architect.
- Building Inactivity: For much of the 1980s, the US economy was not at its best. In 1970, unemployment was 4.9%; in 1980 it reached 7.1%. By 1983, national unemployment hit a high of 9.6%. Oregon's 1983 rate was 12.3%. The University of Oregon increasingly turned to fundraising for financial support.
- The first Historic Preservation program west of the Mississippi was established in the School of Architecture & Allied Arts by Philip Dole and Marian Donnelly.
- Education Addition (South Bldg, courtyard, covered walkway). Architect: Martin Soderstrom Matteson. Builder: John T. Moody & Sons.
- Erb Memorial Union Renovation (Fishbowl Renovation). Architect: Eggleston, Reddick Associates.
- Paul Olum became 13th president of UO.
- An benchmark year for key publications about Oregon's built environment:
- Clark, Rosalind L. Oregon Style: Architecture from 1840 to the 1950s. Portland, OR: Professional Book Center, 1983.
A basic text on Oregon's architecture, Clark's book included Lee H. Nelson; Marion Dean Ross; Philip H. Dole, and Elizabeth Walton Potter as advisors.
- Jette, George S. 100 Years, 100 Trees: Record of Trees Planted, University of Oregon, Eugene (Eugene, OR: The Foundation, 1983).
- Style and Vernacular: A Guide to the Architecture of Lane County, Oregon (Oregon Historical Society, 1983).
Contributors included Philip Dole, Williams, Michael McCulloch, and Richard Glenn Williams.
- Johnson Hall is added to the National Register of Historic Places, June 20, 1985.
- Planning begins on the new science complex (Cascade Hall, Deschutes Hall, Streisinger Hall, and Willamette Hall.) which would add new buildings (Cascade Hall, Deschutes Hall, Streisinger Hall, and Willamette Hall), integrate older ones (Onyx Bridge, Klamath Hall), and add others (Volcanology, Huestis) to a larger landscaped unit.