THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Unless otherwise noted, the date indicates when the building opened. Follow the link to learn more about the history of a building or architect.
- 13th Avenue through UO is closed to regular traffic.
- Autzen Footbridge.
- Campus Planning. UO interviewed prospective consultants to facilitate a new campus planning initiative from which 'The Oregon Experiment' emerged.
- Computing Center. Completed in 1967, the Center was expanded in 1970.
- PLC is bombed; and Johnson Hall is overtaken by students, with 61 later arrested. Campus buildings were subject to bombings and arson in reaction to the escalating Vietnam War, the draft, and the Kent State killings.
- The Physical Education (later named Esslinger Hall). Building partially burns, and is rebuilt.
- Law Center (nowMcKenzie Hall). Architect: Wilmsen, Endicott, and Unthank.
- Villard Hall and Deady Hall are added to the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register, authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify evaluate, and protect historic structures. The National Park Service administers the Register.
- William Boyd becomes UO's 13th president.
- Oregon's Percent for Art Program is established, mandating art expenditures for certain public works.
- Campus planning: Christopher Alexander's The Oregon Experiment (Oxford Univ. Pr., 1975) is published.
- Kenneth Knapp's Trees of the Oregon Campus, University of Oregon at Eugene is published.
- UO acquires Campus Inn, renamed it University Inn. In 2001, the building was renamed Barnhart Hall.
- Sundial is rehabilitated and relocated to plaza to west of Huestis Hall.
- Track star Steve Prefontaine dies on May 30.
- Villard Hall and Deady Hall are designated National Historic Landmarks, among fewer than 2,500 places that bear this distinction. National Historic Landmarks possess exceptional value or quality in illustrating or interpreting the heritage of the United States.
- Animal House is filmed on campus in the fall.