Susan Campbell Hall Architecture of the University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Susan Campbell Hall
Architect: Lawrence & Holford. Construction supervisor: F. H. Miles (Portland).
Design work began in 1916 and ended in July 1920. Construction began in August 1920 and ended in April 1921. Susan Campbell Hall was named for the wife of Prince L. Campbell. Its design and concept mirrored the neighboring Hendricks Hall and, with Gerlinger Hall, formed an ensemble that make up the Women's Memorial Quadrangle. The original building consisted of three separate houses, each of which contained nine 4-women suites. Each suite had a study room, dressing chamber, and sleeping porch.
Susan Campbell was the mother of Walter Church, who assisted Lawrence as an AAA student, and eventully became a Portland architect associated with the firm, Church, Roehr, and Newberry.
Books & Parts of Books
"Susan Campbell Hall," Ellis Lawrence Building Survey. v.2 (Eugene). Compiled by the Historic Preservation Program, School of Architecture and Allied Arts, University of Oregon ; project directors, Michael Shellenbarger, Kimberly Lakin. [Salem, Or.] : State Historic Preservation Office, .