THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Above: Education Bldg., 1916. Source: Special Collections.
Architect: Lawrence & Holford.
Note: Formerly known as Education Building, Oregon Hall, Gilbert West; now part of Lillis Business Complex.
The first Lawrence building on the UO campus, the Education Building (later known as Oregon Hall, then Gilbert Hall West Wing, and now Peterson Hall) originally housed the School of Education which was formed in 1910. Design began on the structure in January 1916; construction began in April, and ended in November 1916. Lawrence was not new to academic architecture; he designed the early buildings of Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington.
In 1952, the new Commonwealth Hall bridged this building with its later companion, the Commerce Building (now Gilbert Hall). Before that time, the unstable pediment had been removed. After Commonwealth Hall was razed in 2003, the new Lillis Business Complex incorporated this Lawrence building.
Top left: Peterson Hall, 2004.
Bottom left: Terracotta detail.
Books and Parts of Books
Newspaper Articles, arranged chronologically:.
- "New unit will house school of education and law department," Daily Emerald, 01/18/1916, 1.
- "Buildings delayed, Rain holds up work on educational hall and girl's gym", Daily Emerald, 09/19/1916, 1.
- "Campus to be improved, New foundation for extension building; women's gym painted; new education building completed", Daily Emerald, 09/21/1916, 1.
- "Junior high moves soon,"Education building completed at total cost of $40,000 plus $8,000 for furniture", Daily Emerald, 09/23/1916, 4.
- "Building ready October 8,"First step toward "Greater University"", Daily Emerald, 09/26/1916, 4
- "Bronze plaque gives Oregon Hall real name," Daily Emerald, 11/01/1941, 8.
- "Building expansion program slates revamping of commerce, Oregon," Daily Emerald, 05/19/1950, 7.
- "Oregon Hall to undergo remodeling," Daily Emerald, 04/18/1951, 6.
- "Oregon Hall first education building," Daily Emerald, 11/02/1951, 5.
- "Administrative services to replace Emerald Hall," Daily Emerald, 01/19/1972, 12.
- "Administrative services building contract bids," Daily Emerald, 05/04/1972, 7.
- "Strikes slow down use of new building," Daily Emerald, 09/27/1973, 1.