THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Architect: Ratcliff Architects
See the exterior sculpture associated with this site.
- 1987. The museum was dedicated on Dec. 12, 1987, with Native American rituals. The former building, housed in one of the structures now under Onyx Bridge, was razed to make room for the new science complex and grounds. The anthropological collections have had other campus locations throughout their history. Funding for the science complex partly supported creating the museum structure at a new site. Percent for Art work for the Museum included the first architecturally-integrated sculpture since Allen Hall's plaques of 1954.
- 2004. The name of the museum changes to Museum of Natural and Cultural History in July 2004.
- 2004. Interior renovation. Engineers: Balzhiser and Hubbard Engineers; Bill Shaw, design architect. Gallery spaces: Presentation Design Group. Murals: Don Prechtel. Project Planner: Chris Ramey. The museum closed during the renovation.
Project Manager: Ken Blanchard.
- 2005. On Feb. 11, the renovated museum hosts a grand opening.
- "Museum of Natural History," Old Oregon 65 no.4 (June 1986): drawing.
News Articles (Arranged by Date)
The Oregon Daily Emerald, Register-Guard (Eugene), UO News, Inside Oregon, and other resources provide online full-text for many articles. Connect to their website and search their archives to see if a full-text version of citations below are available. Some links are provided below.
- "History Museum Reopens after 13 Months' Renovation." Oregon Daily Emerald 14 Feb. 2005, 1. Full-text.
- "UO Museum of Natural and Cultural History to Unveil Million-Dollar Exhibition." UO News. Feb. 2005. Full-text.
- Balingit, Moriah. "In Brief: History museum resurfaces with flair after renovations." Oregon Daily Emerald 11 Feb. 2005, 1.
Describes grand opening of renovated museum, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Feb. 11, 2005.
- Bolt, Greg. "Window on the Past Reopens." Register-Guard 10 Feb. 2005, 1. col. ill.
- "Oregon History Comes Alive." Inside Oregon 31 Jan. 2005. Full-text.
- "New Museum of Natural History Building." Register Guard 11 Dec. 1986, 1D.