Mechanical Hall Lawrence Hall Architecture of the University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Architect: Edgar Lazarus
Mechanical Hall, designed by Portland architect Edgar Lazarus, was among the first buildings on campus when it opened in 1901. Part of this building, where engineering courses were taught, also housed UO's heating plant. Sometimes refered to as Commerce, Sociology, or Engineering Building as it housed those programs before its use became dedicated to architecture.
Mechanical Hall and a parallel structure were linked by William Knighton and formed the nucleus of a structure substantially enhanced by architect Ellis F. Lawrence. Mechanical Hall, now stuccoed and without a cupola, can still be seen as the northwest part of Lawrence Hall.