Kincaid Field Architecture of the University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Kincair Field (Mary Spiller Hall in background). Photo from UO Special Collections.
The Kincaid property was acquired by UO in 1903 and existed as an athletic field from ca. 1902 until 1922 when the bleachers were torn down. Its function was largely replaced by Hayward Field whose east grandstand was constructed in 1919. Students often helped contruct the bleachers throughout the years.
Kincaid Field was located on what is now the Memorial Quadrangle. The map below, by Christine Thompson, shows its original location. Today, a plaque on a sidewalk near the northwest corner of the Museum of Art commemorates the athletes who played on the field.
Search the Building Oregon collection or Special Collections resources to find more images of Kincaid Field.
Newspaper Articles, arranged chronologically: