Friendly Hall Architecture of the University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Architect: Whidden and Lewis.
Finished in 1893, this three story red brick building was conceived to be co-ed, with two main entrances, one to south for men and one to north for women. A large dining room existed in front and between two entrances. Frequently adapted and altered: additions came in 1914, 1920, and 1924, and remodelings in 1933, 1951, and to this day. In 1915, the building was named for Samson Friendly (1883-1915), a Eugene merchant and member of the Union University Association which established the university. Friendly Hall ceased being a dorm in 1928 when Straub Hall opened