Architecture Research Guide, University of Oregon Libraries
Architecture Research Guide
|This guide lists key resources for researching architecture and interior architecture. The Architecture and Allied Arts Library (Eugene) and the Portland Library & Learning Commons are primary service points for collections and services in this area.||For assistance, contact
Ed Teague <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Oxford Reference Online provides full-text of dozens of reference works including Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, Dictionary of Modern Design, Oxford Companion to Art, Oxford Companion to Western Art & more. Select the Art & Architecture subject category.
- Oxford Art Online, accesses Grove Art Online --the most extensive scholarly art and architecture encyclopedia and other encyclopedias.
The database listing library holdings (predominately books) is usually called a catalog. The UO Library catalog comes in two flavors.
- UO Local Catalog accesses books and other cataloged materials owned by the UO Libraries
- UO WorldCat. This database includes library holdings from around the world. Note: The UO WorldCat database also includes articles and other kinds of materials. Searches can be restricted to type of material, date, scope, etc. Can also narrow by UO Library, Summit Libraries, or Worldwide Libraries.
- New additions to the UO Libraries. A monthly list of new titles organized by broad subjects.
There are many databases for articles in journals and trade magazines that are useful for architectural research. Clicking on the FindText which appears with citations helps you locate an item in the library, online, or elsewhere. Multi-database searching is a feature that can be employed to expand searches beyond one database.
- Avery Index to Architecture Periodicals. The principal architecture database indexes 2,000 periodicals published worldwide on architecture, landscape architecture, planning, interior design, and preservation. Coverage is from the 1930s (with selective coverage dating back to the 1860s) to the present.
- Academic Search Premier. Contains indexing for more than 8,000 publications, with full text for approximately 4,600 of these titles. ASP focuses on academic, social sciences, humanities, general science, education and multi-cultural journals. Full text backfiles go as far back as 1965.
- UO WorldCat. - In addition to library holdings, millions of article citations populate this database.
- Web of Science The most comprehensive coverage of humanities, science, and social science articles, 1965-present. The database may be searched by keyword or author, or for works that cite a specified author or paper.
- Newspaper indexes are good for local, regional information. There are several online Oregon newspaper indexes.
Images, plans, data about architecture
Some sources for plans, images, descriptive information of architecture:
- ARTstor, over 1,500,000 images of cultural objects including Quick Time panoramas (QTVR) of buildings.
News about architecture
- ArchitectureWeek provides architectural news, information about competitions, conferences, links to images, product info, and a searchable index to architectural firms. Integrated with Great Buildings Collection and Archiplanet.
- BuildingGreen.com . Includes articles, reviews, and news from Environmental Building News (EBN), the GreenSpec products directory , and the High-Performance Buildings Database featuring case studies.
- McGraw Hill Construction. Comprehensive site includes project & building news (e.g., Northwest Construction), GreenSource for sustainability info, product sources like Sweets Network, & directories such as the Blue Book of Building & Construction.
- Portland Architecture. Blog about design in Portland.
- American Institute of Architects, and chapters AIA Portland, AIA Southwestern Oregon (includes Eugene), AIA Seattle
- American Society of Interior Designers
- Blue Book of Building and Construction -- directory of architects and builders by region, and more.
- Oregon Board of Architect Examiners -- includes searchable database of licensed architects
- Oregon: Oregon Building Codes. The Oregon Structural Specialty Code, Oregon Mechanical Specialty Code , and the Oregon Residential Specialty Code are accessible online.
- Oregon cities: Eugene City Code, Portland City Code
- LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) resources: Follow this link to retriev LEED publications in the UO Libraries.
- Architectural Graphic Standards. 11th ed. AAA REF TH2031 .A84 2007
- Interior Graphic Standards. AAA REF TH2031 .M34 2003
- Time Saver Standards for Building Types. AAA REF NA2760 .D42 2001
- Time Saver Standards for Interior Design and Space Planning. AAA REF NK2110 .T48 2001
- Time Saver Standards for Landscape Architecture. AAA REF SB475.9 S72 T55 1998
- Time Saver Standards for Urban Design. AAA REF HT166 .T47 2003
- Universal Design Handbook. AAA REF NA2545.A1 U55 2001.
Page author: Ed Teague, email@example.com. Updated: 17 Oct. 2012