Information on Foreign Countries
General and Background Information
- CIA World Factbook
- Fact Sheets & Background Notes - U.S. Department of State.
- Country Profiles created by nongovermental organizations
Datasets and Statistics
- Key Development Data & Statistics by country, from the World Bank.
- International Data Base: U.S. Bureau of the Census. Contains statistical tables of demographic, and socio-economic data for 227 countries and areas of the world.
- World Public Opinion Surveys conducted around the globe on political issues
- Statistical Agencies (International): U.S. Bureau of the Census links to the main statistical agencies of various countries.
- Foreign Embassies in Washington, D.C.
- World Wide Diplomatic Archives US State Department resource linking to national diplomatic archives maintained by other countries.
- World News and Open Source Intelligence
- LexisNexis Academic (UO only)
- LexisNexis covers major international newspapers, including some in languages other than English. To search these, click on "Search by Content Type" and select "All News" or "Foreign Language News". Then open "Advanced Options" to select source type and/or Geographic area.
- It also has "BBC Monitoring: International Reports" - to search this in LexisNexis, go directly to "Advanced Options" and start typing in "BBC Monitoring" in the Source box.
Law and Government
- Chiefs of State and Cabinet Members of Foreign Governments. Directory published weekly by the CIA
- Nations of the World. Law Library of Congress. Legal instruments (constitutions, laws, regulations, etc.) as well as official government sites and general sources of information.