Distance Education Services Books
Please review guidelines:
- To be eligible for this service you must live more than 30 miles from campus, be currently enrolled or teaching, and do not travel to the Eugene campus for class.
- Material may be mailed to your home address so you should verify that the mailing address in your library account is accurate. To log into your account, see My Library Accounts. If the mailing address is incorrect please email firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line type: "DistEd Address change". Staff will update your mailing address.
- Review the information about mailed material: Material mailed to you is first checked out on your account. Library staff mail via US mail to your home address. Delivery time is 7-14 days. A mailing label will be enclosed to return the material to the library. It is your responsibility to return the item at your expense. It must be received by the library no later than the due date, or you will be assessed fines or other charges.
- You may renew most UO and Interlibrary Loan items one time. If you still need the material after the renewal due date you must return it to the library and the request the item again.
What is my best option for obtaining books? See Flowchart
- UO Library
- Summit/Orbis(if you live near an Orbis Cascade Alliance library
- Your local library
- Interlibrary Loan
- Electronic books
To browse the what is available electronically you can start with an Advanced Catalog search. Do a keyword search AND limit to Location to Internet.
For reference material available full-text see: Encyclopedias.
The WorldCat catalog contains records for many electronic books. Unless the item is available free on the internet or shows that it is available from the UO, you most likely do not have electronic access to the title. If a record exisit for the paper copy of the book, you may request that.
Books that are AVAILABLE in the UO Catalog will be delivered via US mail to your home.
To do this: Look at the complete record of the book. Click on the "Request Item/Place Hold" button. Select the "Distance Ed" location in the drop-down box. Books that are currently checked out may also be recalled and then sent to you (a recalled book may not be available for up to 2 weeks - if you live near an Orbis Cascade library you may want to consider finding an alternative copy of the book in Summit.)
Orbis Cascade is a consortium of Pacific Northwest libraries. The Summit Catalog combines individual member catalogs, including the University of Oregon Library, into a single unified database. Using the Orbis Cascade Alliance can offer the best option for identifying and quickly obtaining books if you live near an Orbis Cascade library. Summit loans are for either six weeks or six days (depending on the material) and no renewals are allowed. If you need a Summit item longer return the item on time and place a new Summit request.
Some materials (such as videos, CDs, etc.) may check out for six days only, and these cannot be renewed. Materials checked out through Orbis Cascade Lending do accrue overdue fines if they're returned late.
Journal articles are not included in the Orbis Cascade Lending Program.
Check the Summit catalog. After identifying the books you need, there are two options for obtaining these books. When looking at information about a title click on # libraries have this item to see the libraries that own the item*.
If it is owned AND available at a library near you, you may use on-site borrowing. You may borrow materials from any Orbis Cascade library by going to that library and presenting your UO ID card. You are subject to the policies of that library when you borrow directly from them. They set the due dates, overdue fines, and other conditions for borrowing. Be sure to take your UO ID with when picking up Orbis Cascade material.
If it is owned AND available at another library* you may request the item be delivered to the Orbis Cascade library nearest you. Materials will generally be delivered to an Orbis Cascade library within 3 working days. Use the REQUEST THIS ITEM link. Identify yourself as affiliated with UO but change the Pickup Institution to the library near you.
You may renew these items. Most materials can be renewed one time. If you still need the material after the renewal due date you must return it and request the item again.
Occasionally, for convenience or due to time constraints, you may want to use your local library. Keep in mind that other libraries are supporting a different group of users and/or curriculum and may not have the materials you need. The library may also not have the resources, either in materials and staff, to handle many requests.
Access to many library catalogs is available through the Internet:
If you are unable to find the books you need through the UO Library you may search and request material from WorldCat.
When you have found a title in WorldCat that you would like to borrow, click on the Interlibrary Loan icon at the top of the record. Complete the entire form. Be sure that for Library for Pickup; and Status; you indicate Distance Education. Be sure to give a complete address as that is the address that will be used when shipping the book. The loaning library will ship the item to the UO. When it is received at the UO, staff will mail it via US mail to the address you provided. You are responsible for return postage. The due date on your material reflects the date that materials must be received by the library - overdue fines will be assessed for late material. For books you are unable to find in WorldCat use the Interlibrary Loan Department's Form.