Cataloging non library collections
Including Collections not Owned by the UO Libraries in the Library Catalog
- The campus departmental representative contacts the Head of Collection Services, (541-346-3064) to request that cataloging be provided for the department's collection
- The Head of Collection Services reviews the request and, if necessary, consults with other library units.
- The Head of Collection Services meets with the departmental representative(s) to review expectations and go over what is needed for the library to proceed:
- the owning department needs to review the draft collections screen and then provide text specific to the department or unit
- the owning department needs to compile a list of titles to be added and indicate what call number scheme, if any, is to be used
- the owning department needs to provide input on the location label display to be used in the library catalog display (3 to 12 characters)
- for examples of records for other departmental libraries already in the library catalog, see the following titles:
- Queer family values (title for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Education and Support Services Program)
- Of time and the river (title for Environmental Studies Resource Center)
- Water-efficient technologies (title for Ecological Design Center)
- Chinese childood (title for the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art)
- Persian pickle club (title for the Clark Honors College)
- The campus department provides the desired text for the collections screen to the Head of Collection Services, who works with Systems Department staff to create the page in the online catalog.
- The Head of Collection Services:
- creates a new branch code (first character is "z"), umbrellas it to itself, and assigns a circulation address of 1, informs Tablesetters (a library group which monitors codes used in the online catalog), and then arranges with the campus department to receive the list of titles owned by that department in a format they have agreed upon.
- assigns the input of records for the campus department's collection into the online catalog -- adding item records to existing bibliographic records or creating new bibliographic and item records for unique titles.
- The campus department gives to the Head of Collection Services the list of titles to be added to the library catalog
- the list must include enough information for the library to be able to identify each item uniquely (author, title, publication information, and ISBN/ISSN, if available)
- the list must include any local call numbers that are to appear in the catalog records
- The Head of Collection Services notifies the campus department and library staff when the project is complete.
- The Head of Collection Services adds the name of the program being served to the public web page.
- As materials are added to or removed from the campus department's collection, the departmental representative notifies the Head of Collection Services so that catalog records can be updated.