ILL Services and Fees
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
If you need an item that can’t be supplied by the UO Libraries or Summit you may request it via Interlibrary Loan. Request items and check the status of your requests using your ILLiad account.
The University of Oregon Libraries, ILL
1501 Kincaid St.
Eugene, OR 97403-1299
- Current UO students, faculty & staff
- Oregon Card holders, members of the UO Alumni Association & UO Associates
- Many libraries charge lending fees. The UO Libraries subsidizes lending fees for current UO students, faculty and staff. Costs greater than the subsidy ($30/request for students and staff, $60/request for faculty) are submitted to the requester for authorization before the request is filled. The Libraries pay copyright fees for UO faculty, students and staff.
- Oregon Card holders, members of the Alumni Association and UO Associates are charged $15 per successful request plus any copyright and lending fees. These borrowers must authorize us to bill them for the additional lending and copyright fees before the request is filled.
- During 2011 the Libraries paid nearly $50,000 in lending fees for UO faculty, students and staff, and about $20,000 in copyright fees. Please use ILL judiciously so that we can continue to provide this service.
- Click here to review UO Libraries’ overdue fines and fees.
- Request limits: We don’t limit the number of ILL requests for UO students, faculty and staff. However, if you submit many ILL requests at one time we may need several days to process these. We may also refer you to a subject specialist librarian who might be able to help you find local material and resources.
Because each request involves payment of lending fees, staff time at both the lending and borrowing libraries, and includes mailing costs please be sure to pick up the item you requested when you're notified that it has arrived. If you find you don't need the item please notify staff as soon as possible.
- Submitting requests for books, CDs and AV material: before submitting an ILL request please search for the item in UO WorldCat to make sure that it is not owned by either the UO Libraries or a Summit library. Note that staff will cancel ILL requests for items available at the UO or through Summit. If an item owned by the UO Libraries is checked out you can recall the item by clicking on the “Request Item/Place Hold” button.
- Submitting requests for articles and book chapters: before submitting an ILL request for articles and book chapters please search for items in UO WorldCat. You may also search journal and book titles in which the item is located. If the item is not owned by the UO Libraries place an ILL request by clicking the “Find Text” button in the article record or by logging in to your ILLiad account and filling out a blank article request form.
- Textbooks: ILL cannot serve as a substitute for purchasing textbooks or required course material. Items on course reserves are considered available and will not be filled as an ILL request.
- Hard to find items: we may not be able to find libraries willing to lend the following items or it may take longer than usual to get them: audio and visual material, reference material, textbooks, items published within the last year, items held by international libraries, and rare or fragile items.
- International requests: we'll submit requests to international libraries if we cannot find a national supplier. Making requests to international libraries which are outside our normal borrowing channels is reserved for UO faculty and graduate students. These requests can take up to six to eight weeks to process and often cost more than the Libraries’ subsidy.
- Recreational material: we encourage UO students, faculty and staff to find recreational material in the Popular Reading Collection at the Knight Library or use their local public libraries.
- Renewals: due dates for ILL items are set by the lending libraries. You may request a renewal within seven days before an item is due. Log in to your ILLiad account, click on “View > Checked Out Items” and click on the Transaction Number for the item you want to renew. When the record opens click the "Renew Request" button in the upper left. If this button does not appear contact the ILL unit for assistance. When you press the “Renew Request” button a temporary due date will be assigned. The final due date is determined by the lending library. You will be notified by email whether the lending library allowed or denied the renewal.
- Checking the status of your requests: log in to your ILLiad account to check the status of any ILL request. You can click here if you need help understanding the status of your request.
- Notifications: all notifications are sent through e-mail.
- Material can come in as few as three days but may take much longer depending on the location of the lending library and the availability of the item. Books and AV items arrive within an average of 10 days; electronic articles and book chapters usually arrive within three days.
- When you set up your ILLiad account you selected your preferred pickup location. If you want to change this location click on “Change User Information” in your ILLiad account. Note that faculty departments, campus libraries and home delivery for Distance Education students are available options.