University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Volcanology

Architect: Lawrence, Holford & Allyn. Contractor: Ross B. Hammond (Portland).

Summary

The Infirmary opened in 1936.  It was renamed Volcanology in 1968 and converted into classrooms and offices in 1969 following the opening of the new infirmary, the Student Health Center.

Timelines

  • 1930s. Construction began in Dec. 1935 and ended in Sept. 1936 on the Infirmary. The built project was a modified version of a much grander design with two wings. The new structure replaced a house serving that purpose.
  • 1951. A penthouse for the University Physician was added, designed by Lawrence, Tucker, and Wallman.
  • 1964. Concrete rear addition, by W. W. Wilson. Sculpture, by Harold Balasz, presents symbols, mostly associated with sciences.
  • 1968. The building is renamed Volcanology and converted to classroom and offices. Interior alterations by Banks Upshaw (1969). Its function is replaced by the new Student Health Services Building.

 

Photo: The Infirmary in 1936. Source: UO Libraries Special Collections.
To the left (west) is the 1902 gym. In the background is the smokestack from the old power plant, now part of Lawrence Hall.

Bibliography

Books & Parts of Books

"Infirmary," Ellis Lawrence Building Survey. v.2 (Eugene). Compiled by the Historic Preservation Program, School of Architecture and Allied Arts, University of Oregon ; project directors, Michael Shellenbarger, Kimberly Lakin. [Salem, Or.] : State Historic Preservation Office, [1989].

Newspaper Articles (arranged chronologically)

1920s

"Infirmary site changed," Daily Emerald, 10/04/1923, 3
"New hospital called for by resolution, Purpose explained by co-op committee", Daily Emerald, 01/18/1929, 1
"House approves bill to appropriate funds for new infirmary," Daily Emerald, 03/02/1929, 1
"Drive begins for $50,000 infirmary," Daily Emerald, 04/02/1929, 1
"Commence work on infirmary by clearing ground," Daily Emerald, 04/03/1929, 1

1930s

"New infirmary start in sight; plans complete, Work to depend upon P.W.A funds", Daily Emerald, 09/27/1933, 1
"Plans pushed further ahead for infirmary," Daily Emerald, 10/31/1933, 1
"Bids open for infirmary construction,"Building will start between Dec. 1, 15; will be complete fall term, 1936", Daily Emerald, 10/23/1935, 1
"Infirmary site chosen, Thirteenth and Onyx street", Daily Emerald, 11/13/1935, 1
"Infirmary plans are completed," Daily Emerald, 11/22/1935, 1
"PWA officials approve site of infirmary," Daily Emerald, 12/05/1935, 1
"Cement pouring begins at infirmary," Daily Emerald, 02/07/1936, 1
"New infirmary nears completion," Daily Emerald, 03/28/1936, 1
"Infirmary to have ambulance drive," Daily Emerald, 10/13/1937, 3
"Extending a valuable service," Daily Emerald, 04/15/1938, 6
"Pill palace starts re-decorating job," Daily Emerald, 11/17/1945, 7

1950s

"Infirmary's penthouse apartment to house health service doctor," Daily Emerald, 03/29/1951, 1
"[Dr. Fred N.] Miller's penthouse apartment on schedule, Jacoby states," Daily Emerald, 05/16/1951, 1
"26,000 visits yearly made to Infirmary," Daily Emerald, 01/10/1952, 8
"Legislators agree to match $50,000 infirmary loan", Federal appropriation will be returned by students", Daily Emerald, 02/13/1955, 1

1960s

"Soldier admits infirmary raid," Daily Emerald, 05/23/1961, 3
"Infirmary visiting," Daily Emerald, 10/24/1962, 2

 

University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift