THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
UO's Architectural Timelines
Autzen Stadium (Oregana 1968)
Unless otherwise noted, the date indicates when the building opened. Follow the link to learn more about the history of a building or architect.
- A 10-year building program was announced after a ballot measure passed which increased the amount of bond issues that could be sold to obtain funds for building purposes.
- Geology Building (now Columbia Hall). Architect: Lawrence, Tucker, and Wallmann.
- Westmoreland Housing (1960, 1963). Architect: Lutes and Amundsen. Wallace Ruff, landscape architect.
- O. Meredith Wilson ends term as UO president.
- Onyx Bridge. Architect: Lawrence, Tucker, Wallman.
- Arthur Fleming becomes UO's 10th president.
- Collier House Alteration. Architect: Wilmsen, Endicott, Unthank.
- Hamilton Complex. Architect: Church, Newberry, Roehr, Schuette.
- The remaining six World War II quonsets on campus were relocated north of Franklin Blvd.
- Veterans Dorm II was torn down.
- Landscape: The Columbus Day storm (Typhoon Frieda) struck on Oct. 12 .
- The College Side Inn, a 1920s structure by Architecture department head W. R. B. Willcox, was razed to make for the University Bookstore.
- Use of Pioneer Cemetery land continues with planning options.
- President John F. Kennedy is assassinated.
- Bean Complex. Architect: Wilmsen, Endicott, and Unthank.
- Prince Lucien Campbell Hall (PLC). Architect: Stanton, Boles, Maguire and Church.
- Chapman Hall Alteration. Architect: Richard C. Clark.
- College Inn (now University Inn).
- (Knight) Library Addition. Architect: Clare K. Hamlin and B. King Martin.
- Student Health Services Center. Architect: Balzhiser, Seder and Rhodes.
- Autzen Stadium. Architect: Skidmore Owings & Merrill.
- Computing Center. Architect: Morin, Longwood, Eplund.
- Condon Hall Addition. Architect: Stanton, Boles, Maguire, and Church.
- Klamath Hall (originally called Science II). Architect: Skidmore Owings and Merrill.
- UO's efforts to acquire Pioneer Cemetery failed in the Legislature.
- Arthur S. Flemming ends service as UO president.
- Senator Robert F. Kennedy and Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., are assassinated in 1968.
- Charles Johnson serves as acting UO president. He dies the same year. Robert Clark begins term as UO President.
- Clinical Services Building. Architect: Balzhiser Seder & Rhodes (Seattle)
- Gerlinger Annex. Architect: Morin and Longwood.
- Balloon Field House. This 3-ton pneumatic structure (inflatable balloon) was purchased to provide an inexpensive dry practice area for athletes. Sold in 1970.
- Millrace Studios. Architect: Campbell, Michael and Yost.