University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

UO's Architectural Timelines

1960-1969

Autzen Stadium

Autzen Stadium (Oregana 1968)

 

Unless otherwise noted, the date indicates when the building opened. Follow the link to learn more about the history of a building or architect.

1960

1961

  • Onyx Bridge. Architect: Lawrence, Tucker, Wallman.
  • Arthur Fleming becomes UO's 10th president.

1962

1963

  • The College Side Inn, a 1920s structure by Architecture department head W. R. B. Willcox, was razed to make for the University Bookstore.
  • Use of Pioneer Cemetery land continues with planning options.
  • President John F. Kennedy is assassinated.

1964

1966

1967

1968

  • UO's efforts to acquire Pioneer Cemetery failed in the Legislature.
  • Arthur S. Flemming ends service as UO president.
  • Senator Robert F. Kennedy and Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., are assassinated in 1968.

1969

  • Charles Johnson serves as acting UO president. He dies the same year. Robert Clark begins term as UO President.
  • Clinical Services Building. Architect: Balzhiser Seder & Rhodes (Seattle)
  • Gerlinger Annex. Architect: Morin and Longwood.
  • Balloon Field House.  This 3-ton pneumatic structure (inflatable balloon) was purchased to provide an inexpensive dry practice area for athletes. Sold in 1970.
  • Millrace Studios.  Architect: Campbell, Michael and Yost.
  •  

 

Created by ehteague on Jun 18, 2012 Last updated May 6, 2016
University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift