University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Mary Spiller House

Image Source: Oregana, 1914; Oregana, 1918

Summary

Built in 1908 to provide housing for approximately 20 women, this building was named for Mary Boise Spiller, the first woman member of the UO faculty. Spiller taught English and Elocution and was head of the Preparatory School which was initially located in Deady Hall. Spiller House was located between Collier House and Hendricks Hall. It became an annex to Hendricks Hall and served various functions until it was razed in 1951/52.  The architect of Mary Spiller House was Yousa D. Hensill, who also designed the Library (later named Fenton Hall) and the Eugene Public Library.

Bibliography

Newspaper Articles

  • "Girls Dormitory." Oregon Weekly. 7 June 1908: 5. ill.
  • "Mary Spiller House. Girls dormitory opened." Oregon Weekly. 28 Sept. 1908: 2.
  • Dunn, Frederic S. "Mary Spiller Hall's Namesake." Daily Emerald 19 May 1934: 2.
  • "Scrap-book Reveals Details of Life of Mary Spiller." Daily Emerald 23 Nov. 1935: 4.
  • "Spiller House Disappearing from University of Oregon Campus."  Register Guard (Google News Archive), 18 Aug. 1951.

Page author:  Edward H. Teague.

File Upload: 
Created by ehteague on Jun 18, 2012 Last updated May 6, 2016
University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift