University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Power Plant & University Depot

Date: 1924

Architect: Lawrence & Holford.

History

  • The 1924 Power Plant features on its 2nd-story west exterior two cast stone panels by Avard Fairbanks, head of the sculpture area at the time, which symbolize Heat and Power.
  • In 1951 the Power Plant's stack was removed and interior converted to house art studios after the new power plant north of Franklin Blvd. opened.
  • The building became connected with Lawrence Hall when that building's 1971 addition was constructed.

Bibliography

Newspaper Articles (arranged by date)

  • Art students utilize new power building. Daily Emerald. 1/5/24. 2.
  • New heating plant now running at full blast. Daily Emerald. 2/9/24. 3. 25.

 

University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift