THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Architects: Cameron, McCarthy, Gilbert & Scheibe, Eugene.
Construction: Brown Contracting, Inc., Eugene.
Graphics: Oslund Design, Eugene.
Advisory committee: Greg Erwin, Wade Bell, Ron Bellamy, Keith Richard and Dave Taylor.
Completed in May 2005, this plaza serves as an entrance to Hayward Field.
Private donors funded the $1.25 million project: Sharon and Lloyd Powell ‘55, Molly ’78 and Peter Powell ‘78, and the William J. Bowerman Family.
Articles and Releases (arranged by date)
- "Hayward on Track. A Plan to Modernize Hayward Field Would Showcase Sports Achievements and Feature a Plaza and New Entrance." Oregon Daily Emerald 8 July 2004, 1.
- "UO Plans to Put a New Face on an Old Gateway at Hayward." Register Guard 19 Oct. 2004, 1. ill.
Describes 1.25 million project to create a public plaza at corner of E. 15th Ave. and Agate St.
- "Fact Sheet: Powell Plaza at Hayward Field," University of Oregon Public and Media Relations, 13 May 2005.
- Cuniff, Methann M. "Hayward's 'Front Door' Project Hits Finish Line; the Completion of the Entryway to the University's Track and Field Facility Was Honored Friday." Oregon Daily Emerald 16 May 2005: 1.
- "New Twist on an Old Turn." Oregon Quarterly 84 no.4 (2005): 21.