University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Prince Lucien Campbell Hall


Architect's Rendering, PLC and Condon Hall Addition
Old Oregon 46 no.3 (Nov.-Dec. 1966): 22.

Architect: Stanton, Boles, Maguire and Church.


History

The three parts of Prince Lucien Campbell Hall were built over 6 years, commencing in 1962, with a 5-story unit with a two-story west wing completed first in 1963. The first unit was dedicated on Homecoming Saturday, November 7, 1964.  An additional eight stories built atop the existing two-story west addition and an auditorium unit were completed by 1968. The high-rise urban character of PLC did not set a trend. Federal funds substantially supported PLC's construction. Its design aim was to create offices for humanities disciplines on a small amount of land. Colored tile attempts to harmonize the structure with surrounding older buildings on the Memorial Quadrangle (the Museum, Knight Library, Chapman Hall, Condon Hall).

PLC's commanding presence is now somewhat minimized by trees and landscaping. The principal architect Glen Stanton, had a prolific practice, and was an early graduate of UO's architecture program.  The Architecture & Allied Arts Library holds student drawings by Stanton and his classmates.


Bibliography

Journal Articles

  • [Architect's Rendering, PLC and Condon Hall Addition]. Old Oregon 46 no.3 (Nov. Dec 1966): 22.

Newspaper Articles (arranged by date)

  • 1960s
    • "New humanities building planned," Daily Emerald, 10/26/1960, 8
    • "Humanities building completion scheduled for fall term, 1963," Daily Emerald, 2/23/62, 4.
    • "New building Campbell Hall, Prince Lucien", Daily Emerald, 10/03/1963, 4, il.
    • "P.L. Campbell Hall dedication soon," Daily Emerald, 11/04/1964, 8
    • "UO to dedicate new building," Oregonian, 11/04/1964, 24.
    • "Three contracts awarded for Campbell, Condon halls," Daily Emerald, 09/30/1966, 3
    • "Prince Campbell Hall crackles with rumors," Daily Emerald, 09/26/1967, 8
    • "PLC lecture room offers new comfort," Daily Emerald, 01/10/1968, 8
  • 1970s
    • "PLC constructurally sound," Daily Emerald, 08/10/1970, 3
    • "Bomb threatens research projects," Daily Emerald, 10/05/1970, 8
    • "No suspects yet in $50,000 PLC bombing," Daily Emerald, 10/05/1970, 1
    • "Dollars pledged for PLC "reward fund," Daily Emerald, 10/06/1970, 1
    • "Eachus critical of Clark reaction," Daily Emerald, 10/06/1970, 1
    • "Corrections, regarding previous Emerald story about Prince Lucien Campbell", Daily Emerald, 10/15/1970, 11
    • "Fund started to replace books lost in PLC blast, Prince Lucien Campbell", Daily Emerald, 10/15/1970, 4
    • "Funds released to repair PLC," Daily Emerald, 10/26/1970, 3
    • "Bombing booty boosted," Daily Emerald, 10/27/1970, 1
    • "PLC bomb damage scheduled for repair," Daily Emerald, 01/06/1971, 9
    • ". . . Students who rappelled down. . PLC. . ," Daily Emerald, 01/16/1973, 1
 

Page author:  Ed Teague, ehteague@uoregon.edu.  Updated: Jan. 10, 2017

File Upload: 
University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift