University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Onyx Bridge

Onyx Bridge (left), Klamath Hall, Emerald Hall, model 1961. Source: Oregon Quarterly 1961. 

Architect: Lawrence, Tucker, Wallman. Contractor: Vik Construction (Eugene)

Location:  Google Maps location.

Date:

Description

Planned as an east addition to what is now Pacific Hall, Onyx Bridge was originally named East Wing.  In 1989, the pre-1989 adjacent science buildings were renamed:  Science I was named Pacific Hall; Science II was named Klamath Hall; Science III was named Huestis Hall; and East Wing was named Onyx Bridge; and Geology Building was named Columbia Hall.  Concurrently, the names for the new science buildings were approved by the Board of Higher Education:  Deschutes, Willamette, Cascade, Streisinger.

Onyx Bridge was approved to serve as space for laboratories and research.  Construction began concurrently in May 1960 on Onyx Bridge and what is now Columbia Hall which provided a large auditorium for classes and guest  lectures.  The unique exterior design of Onyx Bridge features trusses.

Onyx Bridge originally served as the entrance to the underground Science Library.

 

1961 Onyx
Above left: Onyx Bridge under construction in October 1960, rising 'atop' buildings designed by Ellis Lawrence. Photo: Marion Dean Ross.
 

Resources

Selected Newspaper Articles (arranged by date)

  • 1960s
  • "Science addition work started; total cost to be over 2 million," Daily Emerald, 05/17/1960, 1
    "New science building to have eight stories," Daily Emerald, 05/19/1960, 6
    "Science plant to cost over $2 million, Illustration", Summer Sun, 07/06/1960, 1, il.
    "Strange science building design resembles giant checker board," Daily Emerald, 10/10/1961, 3
    "New science wing to be landscaped," Daily Emerald, 11/30/1961, 3
    "Cold damages Science addition," Daily Emerald, 01/25/1962, 1
    "Research scientists move in new rooms," Daily Emerald, 01/30/1962, 8
    "Four scientists will dedicate new building," Daily Emerald, 04/05/1962, 4
    "Science dedication ceremonies open to public," Daily Emerald, 04/06/1962, 7
    "Science wing ceremonies set," Daily Emerald, 04/06/1962, 1
    "Dedication lecure topics announced," Daily Emerald, 04/06/1962, 6
    "Scientists laud research area," Daily Emerald, 04/09/1962, 1 

Other Resources

Page author:  Edward H. Teague

Created by ehteague on Jun 18, 2012 Last updated Sep 5, 2016
University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift