THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Bid notices to contractors for a laboratory building at the University of Oregon were announced in the Oregonian in July 1899. The building, named McClure Hall, opened in 1900. It was named for Edgar McClure, a UO graduate who returned to the university to teach chemistry, and died climbing Mt. Rainier in 1897. For many years, this building housed Chemistry. In the 1920s, the Journalism Building designed by Ellis F. Lawrence was attached to McClure's west facade. McClure Hall was demolished in 1953 to make way for Allen Hall, which was similarly attached to Lawrence's Journalism Building. The architect, Rolph H. Miller, was born in Minnesota in 1857, and came to Portland in 1892 after study at MIT. He superintended the construction of the Portland City Hall designed by the firm, Whidden & Lewis. After that assignment, Miller specialized in designing school buildings in Portland until his death from appendicitis in 1901.
Journal, Magazine Articles
Page author: Ed Teague, firstname.lastname@example.org