University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Many Nations Longhouse

Many Nations Longhouse, April 2015

1630 Columbia Street

Date: 2005. Architect: Johnpaul Jones

Summary

The longhouse is a community center traditional to many Native American peoples in the Pacific Northwest and around the country. The new longhouse (1630 Columbia Street) replaced a former WWII temporary building that served that purpose since the 1960s. It was dedicated on January 11, 2005. The architect, Johnpaul Jones, is a 1967 UO architect, a Native American born in Oklahoma. His firm's work includes the National Museum of the American Indian, Washington, D. C.

Left: Longhouse under construction, Summer 2004

Timelines

  • 2002. Old longhouse closes due to structural problems.
  • 2004. Construction began.
  • 2005. Building opened, January 11, 2005.

Bibliography

Websites

Newspaper Articles

2005

  • "In Brief: Longhouse Opens Its Doors Today." Oregon Daily Emerald 11 Jan. 2005. Online Edition.

2004

  • "Many Nations Longhouse Celebrates Grand Opening Jan. 11." Inside Oregon. 6 Dec. 2004. Online Edition.
  • "A New Longhouse to Call Home: the Many Nations Longhouse Will Combine Influences from Various Native American Traditions." Oregon Daily Emerald 6 July 2004. Online Edition.
  • "Construction on Campus: Several Construction Projects Change the Face of the University Campus." Oregon Daily Emerald 20 Sep. 2004. .Online Edition.

2003

  • "Native American Heritage: Tribes Celebrate New Longhouse: Part of the Current Building Will Be Used in Constructing the New Many Nations Longhouse ." Oregon Daily Emerald 12 May 2003. Online Edition.

2002

  • "Longhouse, Museum Projects Funded." Oregon Outlook. Fall 2002: 1.
  • "Long-Awaited New Longhouse Starts Construction This Fall." Oregon Outlook. Fall 2002: 4. ill.
  • "Habitat of Heritage; the Many Nations Longhouse, an American Indian Cultural Site on Campus, Is Being Retired Because of Structural Damages." Oregon Daily Emerald 28 Oct. 2002. Online Edition.

Page author: Ed Teague.

File Upload: 
Created by ehteague on Jun 18, 2012 Last updated May 9, 2016
University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift