University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Kincaid Field

Kincair Field (Mary Spiller Hall in background). Photo from UO Special Collections.

The Kincaid property was acquired by UO in 1903 and existed as an athletic field from ca. 1902 until 1922 when the bleachers were torn down. Its function was largely replaced by Hayward Field whose east grandstand was constructed in 1919. Students often helped contruct the bleachers throughout the years.

 

Kincaid Field was located on what is now the Memorial Quadrangle. The map below, by Christine Thompson, shows its original location. Today, a plaque on a sidewalk near the northwest corner of the Museum of Art commemorates the athletes who played on the field.

Search the Building Oregon collection or Special Collections resources to find more images of Kincaid Field.

Kincaid Field


Bibliography


Newspaper Articles, arranged chronologically:

    1900-1919
  • "Investigation of cost of draining Kincaid Field." Oregon Weekly. 22 Feb. 1904) p.4, col.2.
  • "Kincaid Field to be drained. Oregon Weekly". 7 Mar. 1904) p.1, col.1.
  • "Kincaid field being drained. Oregon Weekly." 18 Feb. 1907) p.6, col.2-3.
  • "To change Kincaid to McArthur field." Daily Emerald (20 Oct. 1909) p.4, col.2.
  • "New field for intra collegiate athletics." Daily Emerald (11 June 1910) p.1, col.4.
  • "Kincaid field is dressed up in gala garments." Daily Emerald (21 Oct. 1911) p.1, col.3.
  • "Call the athletic field Kincaid Field." Daily Emerald (17 Jan. 1912) p.3, col.3
    1920s
  • Ghosts of Old Kincaid pass in penned review." Daily Emerald (11 Oct. 1921) p.1, col.1-2.
  • Kincaid landmark to be torn away; used for 20 years." Daily Emerald. (4 Mar. 1922) p.1, col.6.
    1950s
  • Daily Emerald. 23 Apr. 1952, 1.

 

Created by ehteague on Jun 18, 2012 Last updated May 6, 2016
University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift