THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Hendricks Hall (from Oregana 1946)
Construction began on the women's dormitory in July 1917 and was completed in February of 1918. The dormitory formally opened on February 23, 1918. The building was named for T. G. Hendricks, grocer, then banker, who was instrumental in raising funds for Deady Hall's construction. It was built to accommodate 112, but lack of sufficient furniture allowed only about 50 to reside in the dorm the first months. The building was in the "Georgian Colonial" style that Lawrence prescribed for works outside of the main quadrangle. Mary Spiller House was connected to Hendricks Hall through the dining room (Refectory). Spiller House was razed in 1951. The refectory was remodeled in the 1970s to house offices.
Page author: Ed Teague (2004)