University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

University Health Services

Health Services

1590 East 13th Street

Above: Health Services, 2004

Architect: Balzhiser, Seder and Rhodes.

History

Also called Student Health Services and other names, this building opened in 1966. It replaced the 1936 Infirmary (now Volcanology) designed by Ellis F. Lawrence as the campus health center. Its arched façade relates aesthetically to both the Museum of Art of the historic campus and the newer residential areas. The architectural firm BOORA developed to expand and renovate the facility with a groundbreaking in 2005. The expansion will add 48,000 square feet and cost approximately $10 million.

Bibliography

Journal and Magazine Articles

  • "The First Patient," Old Oregon 45 (Mar.-Apr. 1966): 4.

Newspaper Articles (arranged by date)

  • 1960s
    • "New infirmary planned for '65."Daily Emerald 4 Feb. 1963: 8.
    • "Infirmary plans rejected by board."Daily Emerald 23 Apr. 1963: 1.
    • "Bids in for new health center."" Daily Emerald 29 July 1964: 7.
    • "Health Service will expand facilities."" Daily Emerald 5 Aug. 1964: 4.
    • "University opens new infirmary."" Daily Emerald 4 Jan. 1966: 3.
    • "Infirmary services expand as location switched." Daily Emerald 14 Jan. 1966: 6, ill.
    • "Infirmary offers new services." Daily Emerald 20 Sep. 1966: 10.
  • 2005
    • Smith, Emily. "Health Center Slated for Expansion." Daily Emerald 23 May 2005: 1, 8.
      Includes a drawing of the proposed renovated facility.
  • 2006
    • Oser, Edward. "Health Center Remodel Ahead of Schedule; With its $10 million renovation scheduled to be finished at the end of October, the center juggles a rush of early appointments." Daily Emerald 27 Sep. 2006, 1, 14.

 

University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift