THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Architect: Church, Newberry, Roehr, Schuette.
Location: 1365 Agate St. Google map location
The east wing of Hamilton Hall (also called Hamilton Complex and Hamilton Hall Complex) was constructed in 1960; the west wing, 1961. The complex was named Hamilton Hall in 1962 for Judge James W. Hamilton, member of the Board of Regents and BOR president (1913-25). The Hamilton Hall Complex East consists of 113,035 square feet; Hamilton Hall Complex West consists of 111,530 square feet. The four-story radiating building plan consists of 10 housing units (winglets) named for former faculty:
Julia Burgess, English and American literature professor, 19007-1942
George Collier, first professor of physics, 1879-1895
Cedar Hall. Formerly named for Frederick S. Dunn, professor of Latin, 1898-1937. Renamed Cedar Hall temporarily on September 9, 2016.
Edwin C. Robbins, Economics professor, 1915-1919, School of Business Administration dean, 1920-1945
Mary Spiller, first woman on the UO faculty, head of preparatory department, 1876-1888. Original dormitory named for Spiller was razed in 1951.
Mary Watson, English literature professor, 1909-1930
William Pingry Boynton, professor of physics and head of Physics Department, 1906-1932
Timothy P. Cloran, Romance Languages professor and head of department, 1906-1935
Marion F. McClain, University Cooperative Store, 1916-1948
Lilian Ella Tingle, Household Arts professor and head of department, 1917-1933
"Trustees accept president’s proposal, dename Dunn Hall," Around the O, September 9, 2016.
[Denaming Deady and Dunn halls]. UO President's page. 2016.
Hamilton Hall Historic Resource Survey Form, University of Oregon, 2006.
Hamilton Hall Residence Hall Tour. University of Oregon, 2016. YouTube. 4:02 minutes.
"Names Approved for New Dormitory," Eugene Register-Guard Mar. 12, 1962, 11A. (Google News Archive)
Page author: Edward H. Teague.