University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Gymnasium (1890)

Gym 1890s

Gymnasium. Source: Old Oregon (Oct. 1951): 8.
  • Architect: William T. Campbell.
  • Annex (Women's Open Air Gymnasium). 1916. Architect: Lawrence & Holford. Contractor: Curtis A. Gardner.

Summary

A gymnasium for men opened in 1890 and replaced the third floor of Deady Hall for athletic activities. The brick building had a Romanesque look and a distinctive cupola. It was located in the vicinity of what is now Lawrence Hall's south facade and the older portion of Allen Hall.

In 1909 the building became the Women's Gym when a new men's gym was built (where Columbia Hall now stands). In 1916, E. F. Lawrence designed an addition to this structure -- the Women's Open Air Gymnasium -- which opened in September. When the Women's Building (Gerlinger Hall) opened in 1921, the Old Gym and its annex housed Health Service, Journalism, and Art.

The 'Old Gym' burned in 1922 along with an annex. The fire destroyed art works, including those by or belonging to Maude Kerns and Avard Fairbanks. The destruction and resulting space enabled Ellis F. Lawrence to proceed with renovating and expanding the art and architecture buildings.

Bibliography

  • "Fifty Thousand Dollar Fire Loss Replaced." Old Oregon 5 no. 1 (Oct. 1922): 3.
    Loss of Art building (former Women's Gym) and P. E. Building (housing the Infirmary as well) is described.
  • "Month Late But Gym Is Fine Structure," Daily Emerald, 8 Jan. 1910: cover.
  • Oregon Daily Emerald, 17 Feb. 1916: 1, 29 Feb. 1916: 1, 16 Sept. 1916: 2, 19 Sept. 1916: 1, 21 Sept. 1916, 2 Dec. 1919: 1-2.
  • Oregana (1921): 9 ill.
  • Shellenbarger, Michael, et al. "Women's Open Air Gymnasium," Ellis F. Lawrence Building Survey (v. 7, Eugene).

Page author: Ed Teague

Created by ehteague on Jun 18, 2012 Last updated May 10, 2016
University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift