University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Emerald Hall


Emerald Hall (1987)
(To the right, Huestis Hall; behind, Klamath Hall.)
Courtesy: Special Collections (slide original)

History

Emerald Hall was relocated to campus in May 1947 from Camp Adair, north of Corvallis, Oregon. Camp Adair, named in honor of Henry Rodney Adair, West Point graduate and descendant of Oregon pioneers, was a training site for battalions headed overseas. During its height, Camp Adair was the second largest city in Oregon. Ellis Lawrence designed many of the temporary structures which made up the camp; after the war, these buildings were distributed to various sites to accommodate various needs. Emerald Hall housed the registrar's office until Oregon Hall opened in 1974. It was then used for studios, student groups offices, and other needs. Emerald Hall was demolished in 1987 to make way for Willamette Hall.

Bibliography


Websites

  • Camp Adair (Benton County Historical Society). Accessed 12 Sept. 2004.

Newspaper Articles


1940s

  • "Emerald Hall to alleviate office jams, (Emergency building obtained from Camp Adair)," Daily Emerald, 05/07/1947, 1
  • "Registrar's office moves to new Emerald Hall," Daily Emerald, 07/17/1947, 4
  • "They're 10 inches thick…C. E. Avery examins…walls of the fireproof "vault" in Emerald Hall," Daily Emerald, 07/17/1947, 1
  • "Thus it must be,"editorial, about moving dean of women's office to Emerald hall from Alumni Hall," Daily Emerald, 10/02/1947, 2

1950s

  • "Emerald Hall gets face lifted," Daily Emerald, 04/21/1952, 7
  • "Additions near completion at Emerald (Hall)," Daily Emerald, 10/21/1959, 1

1970s

  • "Bomb attempt foiled by sprinkler system," Daily Emerald, 08/27/1970, 5
  • "Emerald Hall to be replaced," Daily Emerald, 03/29/1972, 4
  • "Emerald Hall empty space hopes to be filled soon," Daily Emerald, 10/29/1973, 21
  • "Emerald Hall in use, will house student programs," Daily Emerald, 11/14/1973, 22

 

Created by ehteague on Jun 18, 2012 Last updated May 6, 2016
University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift