University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
 

Columbia Hall

Architect: Lawrence, Tucker, and Wallmann

Photo: Construction view, January 1961, by Marion Dean Ross.

History

Columbia Hall opened in 1961. It was built as an extension of the science building, now named Pacific Hall, to which it is connected by a bridge.  According to UO Campus Planning and Real Estate, its historic name is "Geology Building."  Columbia Hall's auditorium space, once UO's largest, is built upon the foundation of a swimming pool which occupied the bottom floor of the gymnasium that formerly occupied this site. Columbia Hall's facade features a basalt sculpture by Steve Gillman, artist and UO graduate.

Bibliography

"Columbia Hall, Historic Resource Survey Form," University of Oregon Cultural Resources Survey.  Eugene, OR: UO Campus Planning and Real Estate, 2006.


Page author: Edward H. Teague

 

Created by ehteague on Jun 18, 2012 Last updated May 6, 2016
University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift