University of Oregon
Chapman Hall. Photo:  Ed Teague
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Chapman Hall

990 E. 13th Ave.

History

  • Construction of Chapman Hall began in late December 1938 with the building of a work shed to serve as the project headquarters.  The purpose of the new building was to serve as the home of the home economics department, the university co-operative bookstore, faculty offices, and classrooms. This building was named for Charles H. Chapman, 2nd UO president. Among other uses in its history, it housed Home Economics and the Student's Co-operative Store (a forerunner of the UO Bookstore). Chapman Hall was Lawrence's last work on the Memorial Quadrangle and was compatible in design to its counterpart, Condon Hall. A special interior feature is the mural in room 223 by E. R. Scott, executed in the New Deal social realist style as part of a UO masters thesis. The painting depicts a number of American progressive thinkers including Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, and Thomas Dewey. The building was funded by the Public Works Administration, a New Deal project. Chapman Hall exhibits the last use of architectural terracotta on the UO campus.
  • Original Structure (1939). Architect: Lawrence, Holford, Allyn
  • North Entrance Alteration (1966). Architect: Richard C. Clark.
  • The Robert D. Clark Honors College took its home in Chapman Hall in 1961.  The honors college was approved in 1959 with classes starting  in 1960.  Its  first home was the Honors College Center in the basement of Friendly Hall.

Bibliography

Articles

  • "Start new building at university today."  Web. Register Guard, 28 December 1938.
  • "University faculty approves plan for honors college." Web.  Register Guard.  7 June 1959.
  • "Honors College to have new head in new office."  Web. Register Guard 2 September 1961.

Archives & Drawings

Cultural Survey Reports

  • "Chapman Hall," Ellis Lawrence Building Survey. v.2 (Eugene). Compiled by the Historic Preservation Program, School of Architecture and Allied Arts, University of Oregon ; project directors, Michael Shellenbarger, Kimberly Lakin. [Salem, Or.] : State Historic Preservation Office, [1989].
  • "Chapman Hall," University of Oregon Historic Resource Survey. University of Oregon Campus Planning, Design, and Construction, 2013.

Page author: Ed Teague

Created by ehteague on Jun 18, 2012 Last updated Dec 9, 2016
University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift