THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Central Power Plant
Above: Architect's rending, Central Power Plant [Old Oregon, citation below]
Engineer: J. Donald Kroeker (Portland).
By 1948, seven dams were sited on the Willamette River, as a result of 1930s legislation to control flooding and make productive farmland. This more secure control enabled the UO to build north of Franklin Blvd. The 1949-50 power plant replaced the 1924 structure by Lawrence which was renovated to house art and architecture classes and studios.