University of Oregon
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON

Carson's Lake

Carson's Lake

Map, Carson's Lake, by Christine Thompson

History

A pond was constructed in 1906 in the area now occupied by McKenzie Hall. The pond was the site of tugs-of-war and other water games fought among the student classes. It was named somewhat derisively after Louella Carson, dean of women, who was ever vigilant about proper conduct. Over time, the site gathered unwanted drainage from neighboring areas and became a haven for mosquitoes. It was filled with dirt from excavations for the the new Administration Building (Johnson Hall) in 1914-15.

 

Created by ehteague on Jun 18, 2012 Last updated May 10, 2016
University of Oregon Libraries
1501 Kincaid Street Eugene, OR
97403-1299
T: (541) 346-3053
F: (541) 346-3485
Make a Gift