THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Architect: Wilmsen, Endicott, and Unthank. Builder/contractor: Paul B. Emerick Construction
Location: 1416 Columbia Street, 1601 East 15th Avenue. East section: 1695 East 15th Avenue, 1410 Moss Street. Google map location
Photo: Oregon Digital.
This three-story structure, at 15th and Moss, was named for Robert Sharp Bean, a UO grad who was Oregon Supreme Court Chief Justice (1882-90). The building is comprised of two squares with courtyards, Bean West (1695 E. 15th Ave., 70,651 sf) and Bean East (1741 E. 15th Ave., 90,924 sf).
The units within the complex are named for former faculty:
Elon H. Moore, Sociology professor, 1934-1953
Philip A. Parsons, Sociology professor, 1920-1943 and department head, 1928-1943
Richard H. Thornton, Law School dean, 1885-1920
Walter R. B. Willcox, architecture professor, 1922-1945
Albert E. Caswell, Physics department head, 1913-1932, 1923-1949
Burchard W. DeBusk, Education professor, 1915-1936
John T. Ganoe, history professor, 1930-1949
Louise F. Henderson, Botany professor and Herbarium curator, 1924-1939
Bean Hall Historic Resource Survey, University of Oregon, 2006
"Names Approved for New Dormitory," Eugene Register-Guard, Mar. 12, 1962, 11A. Google News Archive
Bean Residence Hall Video Tour. University of Oregon, 2016. YouTube. 5:46 minutes.
Page author: Edward H. Teague.