THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON
Location: 1000 Patterson St. Google Maps location. <
Image: Google Maps
Originally named College Inn, this privately owned and managed dormitory opened in 1966. The seven-story building, 125,020 sf, cost approximately three million dollars. In 1974, the building was up for sale. Lane County considered acquiring it for use as a jail. The State Board of Higher Education bought the building for the University of Oregon for $1.65 million and it was renamed University Inn. In 2001, the building was named after H. Philip Barnhart, University Housing Director emeritus, who was housing director from 1951 to 1979.
"Lane may buy College Inn for jail." Register Guard 25 September 1974, 1.
"University Inn Renamed to Honor Former Housing Director," UO News, 28 August 2001.
"New Dormitory (drawing)," Old Oregon (Mar.-Apr. 1966): 59.
Page author: Edward H. Teague