Moving Library Collections: If the Library is Open
If the Library is Open
Think about these things:
- Are all floors open to wandering public at all times? Safety issues?
- Are some floors open and some floors closed? If closed, will you page materials from those floors for patrons?
- Are all items paged? Where do patrons make requests? Where and when do they pickup books? How are items checked out? Will your checkout desk be available, and if not, will you do manual checkout or can your temporarily wire some temp. workstations? Can you do offline transactions and later download them?
- Have you updated your hours open and days closed tables in your automated circulation system?
- Will you forgive overdue fines due to construction/shifting? If so, should you just allow the system to think you were closed those days?
- Will you let patrons place holds or recall items from other patrons?
- Do you have course reserves? What are your plans for those?
- Will you continue with your ILL service? If not, have you notified the other libs not to request your items?
- Have you postponed or made other arrangements for your bindery shipments?
- How about incoming mail (US mail, private delivery companies) etc.: do you have space to store periodicals and new arrivals and staff mail if your mail staff won't be processing them?
- If you're closing or partially curtailing access to collections, have you provided advance notification of campus and / or the community?