Moving Library Collections: Staff meeting
Staff meeting agenda and notes
|Where:||IMC Studios A, B, and C|
|When:||Thursday, December 9th, 2-3:30p|
|Who:||All Libary staff involved in this shift: permanent and student|
Brief overview of intersession activities (10 min): Andrew
- Moves for Music Svc. (top priority)
- Tech Svc (want this done as soon as she the shelving is in so we get them off 4th floor so that LC, East Asian, and Special Collections can go into their spot)
- A-M LC's, Special Collections, etc.
- Tentative plans for when deliveries come: Highsmith, shelving, Galifco, etc. Dock busy. Try to give picture of controlled chaos on those days, to let staff know about some of the factors not under our control, so they'll be understanding about the need for flexibility, etc.,WITHOUT scaring them into believing the whole project could collapse at a baby's sneeze)
- furniture moving: when (at night), who (which company), how furniture movers will be labelled (bunny suits or name tags)
- what to do if you see strangers wandering around in stacks (ask if they need help)
- when to box up belongings from desks, how to prepare for movers
- Systems will be backing up pc's, then moving them.
- need for flexibility due to slipperinessof external factors
- anything nice that the Friends of the Library are doing for the staff?
- Shift Supervisors (Daniel for Catalog Department, Nancy for Acquisitions and Serials, Joanne for CollDev, Leslie B for Music, Bernie for SpColl, Shelia S for A-L, East Asian
- Task Desk Supervisor: Laura
- Injury Czar: Barbara
- Computer Mover: John
Preventing Injury: (15 min) Kay, Office of Public Safety (handout)
Brief explanation of Shifts: (10 min) Shelia
- forward vs. backward
- moving shelves during shift
- crucial importance of not losing shelves and not losing space
- leave two loaded carts, keep carts in order
- loaders can push if necessary. Loaders responsible to keep trucks in order and #s on them but EVERYBODY keep eyes open
- when turning a corner, be sure call #s right
- can switch jobs
- preservation: careful handing of books, don't grab by headband
- team colors: each time you come to the ComPost to be assigned to a shift you'll get a new name tag that has a colored dot on it. The book trucks, teams, and loading/unloading spots for each shift have their own color.
Briefer overview of Special Collections Moves: Bernie (5 min)
Brief explanation of house keeping: Shirien (10 min)
- if moving books, go to ComPost, located near Newspaper Desk. How to get assigned to a specific shift and get there quickly.
- if Task Desking, go to CircDesk. Task Deskers will be doing a variety of projects; given assignments by LWilley.
- If sick or late: call 346-3065. PLEASE call.
- Breaks: Most shifts are two hours, so don't take breaks during shifting slots (except 4-hour slots).
- Permanent staff when not on shift or taskdesk: go back to dept and work. If nothing to do, return to Task Desk.
- Attire: durable grubbies. CLOSED-toed shoes for shifters and pushers. Go for layered look; may be hot in places, cold in others. Might want to dig out your old Knight Shift t-shirt
- Don't work too fast; the team must keep with with the fastest worker, and some get worn out.
- Don't take large handsful of books, etc. Make sure trucks are in order. Don't change rules on your own; check with shift sup. first so everybody can change
- Regarding work and torn books: don't take them off the shelves UNLESS the text block has no cover, or cover has no text block.
- If you see books that look interesting, remember where you're working grab them later. Don't slow down the shift.
- Main doors open M-F 8-5. Staff door all other times. Students have been given the password for the staff door; their password works M-F 4-8, and Sat/Sun 7:30-5p. Confidential confidential confidential
- staff and students who could not come to this meeting can watch it on video tape. See Shirien
- if fire alarm goes off, go out.
- flex, flex, flexible
- Be nice to the shift sups
- thanks thanks thanks
Questions: (remainder of time) (all TF members)
- What's goint to happen next Spring Break? Can I take vacation?
- Will summer vacations be affected?
- Can we have food/drink (cans of sody pop, for instance)? [Yes; don't want us to dehydrate. plastic covered drinking containers. But don't stash them on the shelves; use a re-shelving table nearby]