Borrowing and Requesting, for Undergraduate Students
Policies described on this page pertain to UO undergraduates, UO Community Education students and visiting students from other Orbis Cascade Alliance (Summit) Institutions.
Your UO ID card is your library card. UO ID cards are valid at all UO Libraries as well as at Summit libraries.
When searching for materials and resources through LibrarySearch, be sure to sign in. Doing so will permit you to place requests, view your current checkouts, and provide you with access to restricted-use databases.
Notices to UO faculty, staff and students are sent by email to their uoregon email accounts. Mailing addresses should be kept up to date via DuckWeb.
- Borrower responsibilities:
- You are responsible for knowing the due date of library materials that are checked out, and for returning those materials on time.
- Understand that automatic renewals occur only for materials that have not been requested by other borrowers, and only for materials eligible for renewal.
- Recalls: All items are subject to recall at any time (including breaks between terms or semesters)
- Loan Periods:
- Books (including Popular Reading Collections): 6 weeks, but with automatic renewals you may keep the material for up to 24 weeks (unless recalled by another borrower)
- Videos: 6 days; but with automatic renewals you may keep the material for up to 12 days (unless recalled by another borrower)
- Audio recordings: 6 days; but with automatic renewals you may keep the material for up to 24 days (unless recalled by another borrower)
- Bound journals: 6 days (no renewals)
- Summit books: 6 weeks (no renewals)
- Summit short loan: 6 days (no renewals)
- Interlibrary Loans: determined by the lending library
- Reserves and equipment loans: two hours to seven days, loan period announced at checkout
- Requesting. You may:
- Request materials be paged to a more convenient UO Library for checkout
- Page materials from stacks to the Checkout Desk, requests take at least 24 hours
- Request home delivery of materials if you are eligible for services to Distance Education students.
- Request delivery of articles and book chapters
- Request material not owned by UO Libraries via Summit or Interlibrary Loan
- Fees and Overdue Fines:
- Books and Summit or ILL material: $.50/day
- Audio and video recordings: $2/day
- Recalls: $5/day
- Equipment and other short loans: varies by collection
- Course Reserves: $3/hour
- Damaged or lost items: Repair or replacement charge plus $20 service charge plus accrued fines